Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Mashed Turnips

This was a dish I remember my paternal grandmother making for a Sunday Roast Beef Dinner. Something I always loved but didn't learn to make until 5 years ago. Its actually a very simple dish to prepare but absolutely delicious.

Mashed Turnips
Ingredients
2-4 white turnips or 1 large waxed turnip (I prefer the smaller white turnips, much easier to cut & peel)
melted butter
milk
water
salt
pepper

Directions:
Note: I never actually measured out the ingredients I use in this dish, I think for butter I use about half a stick and for the milk its probably about 1/4-1/2 a cup. The salt & pepper is too taste
Peel turnips to remove their waxy skins, cut into about 1 inch chunks. Place in a saucepan with enough water to cover and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered until they are easily pierced by a paring knife, about 35 minutes.

Drain and puree in food processor or use a potato masher. Add melted butter, milk, salt & pepper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment