Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Mom's Sweet Potato Casserole

I don't know where my mom originally got this recipe, it might have been from my aunt, and my mom improved upon it. She's made it every year since I was 7 or 8 years old. Its always been one of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes. I made it for the first time many years ago, and everyone in my family loves it.

Mom's Sweet Potato Casserole



Ingredients:
6 large sweet potatoes/golden yams
1 cup milk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
6 tablespoons or so butter, softened (I think I usually end up using 1 whole stick)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bag marshmallows (regular or mini - most of the time I use the regular size)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.

Wash dirt off sweet potatoes, then boil until very tender. Remove from water, place in large colander and rinse under cold water until potatoes are cool enough to handle. Remove skins and place potatoes in large mixing bowl. Mash partially with potato masher, then using an electric mixer, continue to mash while adding in brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, & salt. Mix well, then add the maple syrup, continuing to mix, gradually add milk. Sweet potatoes should appear pureed but not soupy. Taste a bit, you may desire to add a little more butter and/or maple syrup.

Transfer potatoes to a 2 1/2 -3 quart casserole dish. Bake uncovered at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until hot. Remove from oven, top with marshmallows (leave about a half inch uncovered around the edges to avoid marshmallows spilling over sides of dish). Return to oven and bake 5-10 minutes more - just until the marshmallows are melted and have a light brown appearance - watch carefully, the marshmallows easily. This makes about 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment