Wednesday, November 4, 2015

My Eggnog Recipe

I remember when I was a kid Carton Eggnog was super thick and delicious. The last 10 years or so, I noticed every brand I tried is as thin as milk and just doesn't taste the same. So I started on a hunt for a great recipe. I never found one that was as thick as I remember, so I altered one I found until I got the results I wanted. My recipe is a very thick, very fattening, there is absolutely nothing healthy about it, but super yummy eggnog. Its the only way I make it, and will never buy store bought eggnog again.

My Eggnog



Ingredients: 6 eggs
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups half and half or light cream
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2-1 teaspoon nutmeg
Optional: 1/2 cup brandy or 1/2 cup dark rum (if you want liquor in yours but have kids who will be drinking the eggnog, instead of adding it to the entire batch, when serving, add a 1/2 ounce of liquor to the adult's cups)

Directions:
If you have a standing mixer with at least a 4 quart bowl, its best to use this, if not, a very large bowl and a hand mixer will do. Beat the eggs until they become very frothy - use the highest speed your mixer can handle without spattering liquid everywhere. While continuing to mix slowly add the sugar until its all added. Then sprinkle in the nutmeg - I usually use a full teaspoon but if your not big on nutmeg, 1/2 a teaspoon is enough. Add vanilla. Continue beating and slowly add in cream - at this point you may need to reduce the speed of your mixer a bit to prevent a mess. Next beat in the half & half. If your planning to add liquor to the batch, add it at this point. Pour into a large pitcher or punch bowl - makes about a half gallon. Chill for 1 - 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment